I heard a thing…

Sept. 21, 2023, 1:42 p.m.

Did you hear the same thing? Someone’s digging in them there mountains. Oh that stupid bird. Shhhh, don’t tell anybody.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 21, 2023, 4:32 p.m.

So Grouse is building a mountain bike park to correspond with the opening of the new gondola. Also, the Squamish gondola is going to have access to a new bike trail.

Sept. 22, 2023, 9:57 a.m.

Grouse thing seems to be out of the bag, posters recruiting staff, looks like James from RibeBC is building? Cool, he builds great stuff. Also this means lift access to top of Fromme when you are done your last lap in the park, although getting back to your car will require some suffering if riding back to the Grouse parking lot from bottom of Fromme.

What's the word on Squamish gondola? Who is building and where are the trails? Also will be interesting in how they control bikes up there given there are other trails around, presumably outside the gondola's CRA.

Sept. 22, 2023, 11:33 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Grouse thing seems to be out of the bag, posters recruiting staff, looks like James from RibeBC is building? Cool, he builds great stuff. Also this means lift access to top of Fromme when you are done your last lap in the park, although getting back to your car will require some suffering if riding back to the Grouse parking lot from bottom of Fromme.

What's the word on Squamish gondola? Who is building and where are the trails? Also will be interesting in how they control bikes up there given there are other trails around, presumably outside the gondola's CRA.

If you came out at the tennis courts it's a pretty easy straight shot west across Montroyal to the Grouse parking lot with minimal climbing.

Sept. 22, 2023, 12:20 p.m.

haha gonna be a whole bunch of dead tourists on dreamweaver

Sept. 23, 2023, 9:54 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

if only there were some forward thinking people in canada you could all use a modern public transporting system like this

or even this

and keep your lifted gas guzzlers at home

:(

Sept. 23, 2023, 11:01 a.m.

Thank goodness the Europeans remind us that we don’t have public transit tailored to our luxury hobbies, otherwise we might forget.

Sept. 23, 2023, 11:41 a.m.

Actually in Vancouver public transit to Fromme and Seymour is pretty good. Buses have bike racks in front and you can bring your bike on the seabus. And unlike in Switzerland it doesn't cost extra.

Sept. 23, 2023, 1:07 p.m.

Nah that can’t be, North America dumb remember?

Sept. 26, 2023, 9:42 a.m.

I laugh at you, Europe!  I laugh.  ;)

Oct. 10, 2023, 5:31 p.m.

When I was a teenager growing up in Burnaby, I would shuttle Burnaby Mountain trails using the bus. Cheapest 1.5 hour lift ticket around.

Oct. 11, 2023, 1:34 p.m.

Posted by: mrock

When I was a teenager growing up in Burnaby, I would shuttle Burnaby Mountain trails using the bus. Cheapest 1.5 hour lift ticket around.

Same here. That was awesome.

Oct. 11, 2023, 1:35 p.m.

Posted by: hotlapz

So Grouse is building a mountain bike park to correspond with the opening of the new gondola. Also, the Squamish gondola is going to have access to a new bike trail.

Wow thats wild. Is there any news on who are the builders?

Oct. 11, 2023, 5:50 p.m.

hotlapz

I don't see how this is gonna workout for the S2S gondola. There's no way anyone is going to be allowed to build new bike trails down to the highway/base station as the land is far far too steep and it's BC Parks either side of the gondola access/ROW.

Even a one-shot gondola ride up and dropping down towards Mamquam FSR (great terrain) then means riding uphill along the highway to get back to your vehicle at the gondola base station (unless a vehicle shuttle is somehow factored in).

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what their plans are. Maybe I'm missing something...

Oct. 12, 2023, 12:49 a.m.

I'm thinking both S2S and Grouse will be: bring your bike up and ride around up here. 

Grouse probably riding a chair, S2S will be just pedals. Both will want people to have après up there in their amenities.